Veterinary Assistant JobApache Trail Animal HospitalAntioch, TN
Why You'll Love This Job
Veterinary Assistant (Full-Time/Part-Time)
Apache Trail Animal Hospital
Why You'll Love This Veterinary Assistant Job
Are you passionate about providing exceptional care to pets and their pet parents? Do you want to work in a collaborative and positive environment where you are encouraged to grow? Join the team today as Veterinary Assistant at our Partner Hospital Apache Trail Animal Hospital today!
A successful candidate will be client-centric, have a deep appreciation for the human-animal bond pet parents have with their pets, and will be passionate about giving back to and building a relationship with the local community. Potential candidates will be expected to embrace low stress handling philosophies and methodologies in animal care, be adaptable, and be enthusiastic about companion animal practice.
When you join our company, you will feel supported because your team is truly there for you. You will experience a work environment where leadership listens and encourages you both personally and professionally. You will come to work each day knowing you are making a difference in the lives of pets and their pet parents by providing exceptional care. With competitive compensation and benefits, leading edge technology, and the freedom to create your own success, you will experience an exciting career as a Veterinary Assistant with us.
If you are passionate about supporting high standards of veterinary medicine and will excel in a collaborative environment, are encouraged to pursue professional interests, and take the time to practice veterinary medicine in a patient centered way, then we want to talk to you! Join the team and apply to be an important part of our family as a Veterinary Assistant today!
Our ideal candidate will be client centric, have a deep appreciation for the human-animal bond pet parents have with their pets, be passionate about embracing low stress handling philosophies and methodologies in the performance of all duties, be enthusiastic about giving back to and building a relationship with the local community, be comfortable with the need for adaptability, and have at least 1-2 years of clinical experience in a companion animal practice.
Role and Responsibilities
The veterinary assistant champions profession-leading preventive care and a high standard of veterinary medicine. She/he is responsible, under doctor and veterinary technician supervision and direction, to provide appropriate veterinary care across the pet center and utilize low stress handling philosophies and methodologies working in collaboration with each of the services. He/she will practice veterinary medicine in compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines along with any Company quality standards.
- Assist the veterinarian and licensed veterinary technician with routine patient appointments and surgical procedures including care and monitoring of pets and assisting with restraint
- Collect and process samples for diagnostics as indicated
- Collect and preserve laboratory samples that must be shipped offsite for testing
- Administer emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures
- Serve as a role model and champion of the Heart + Paw brand
- Prepare appointment rooms prior to scheduled patient visits and treatment rooms for surgery
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian
- Assist the veterinarian during examinations including restraint when indicated and keeping the pet calm and secure during visit
- Record patient medical history and medical notes as well as inventories of pharmaceuticals, equipment, and supplies
- Maintain controlled substance inventory and related logbooks, fill prescriptions, measure medications and label containers and explain medications and potential side effects to clients
- Ability to position patients and take radiographs including dental radiographs
- Ability to assist with routine ultrasonic dental prophy including dental charting and dental procedures
- Ability and willingness to assist with monitoring general anesthesia
- Dress wounds and apply splints and protective devices
- Give enemas, perform catherization, ear flushes, intravenous feedings, and gavage
- Advocate for comprehensive preventive care including dental care, flea and tick and heartworm prevention, and behavior and nutritional consults
- Explain medications, potential side effects, and treatments
- Serve as resource for other pet center associates as applicable
- Contribute to proper use and maintenance of all center equipment and overall cleanliness of the center and adherence to the company brand
- Clean kennels, animal holding areas, surgery suites, and examination rooms to control the spread of disease
- Contribute to a positive and collaborative working environment for all center employees
- Partner with veterinary team to deliver outstanding medical quality
- Participate and support the onboarding of new center employees and development of medical, technical, and communication skills of all center employees
- Work with the veterinary hospital team through daily patient caseload and direct center employees in a positive and efficient manner
- Communicate with clients in a positive and efficient manner, educate and counsel regarding issues such as animal health care, behavior problems, and nutrition, and utilize Heart + Paw technologies available (Telemedicine, texting, emails, etc.)
- Develop and maintain positive and lasting relationships with clients and community
- Promote all center services
Skills & Qualifications
What You Will Bing to the Team
- 1-2 years of clinical experience preferred
- Excellent client communication skills are required
- Must be able to lift 20+lbs., tolerate strong smells and noisy environments, and deal with physically and emotionally demanding situations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Consumer-centric mindset with proven ability to bring, build, and retain a strong client base
- Strong interest in the use of technology to advance the practice of veterinary medicine and the pet/pet parent experience
- Highly collaborative and able to deal with ambiguity as well as learning on the fly
- Fear Free and HABRI certification or desire to become certified
Our company is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.