Center Director/Practice Manager JobNorthern Liberties – PhiladelphiaPhiladelphia, PA
Why You'll Love This Job
Center Director/ Practice Manager
Are you dreaming about a new approach to petcare? We are. In fact, our business philosophy is built around reimagining it.
Heart + Paw is looking for a client-centric, collaborative, enthusiastic, and innovative individual to be an integral part of how we are reimagining petcare for pets and pet parents at our Northern Liberties location. If you are passionate about being part of a practice which embraces profession-leading preventive care and high standards of veterinary medicine and you excel in a collaborative environment where you are rewarded for success, supported with operational resources, and are able to have a positive impact on the team, then we want to talk to you!
The Center Director is responsible for the business activities of the center including hiring and training support team; working with the Partner Doctor + Finance to prepare annual budget assumptions and budgeted financial statements; monitoring key performance by reviewing daily flash reports, weekly KPI reports and monthly actual vs. budget financial statements; assuring inventory + medical supply control + budgeted COGS % via proper utilization of the Inventory Control System, disciplined inventory + medical supply ordering, physical cycle counting and slow- moving item assessment; assuring proper utilization of Practice Management System for all transactions;; assuring that all day-end procedures are completed; and implementing safety and security procedures. This is a leadership position with the additional responsibility of ensuring a positive work environment in which the center achieves its financial goals, creates an elevated pet and pet parent experience, and reinforces that Heart + Paw is a destination employer.
- Promotes a client-centric environment and facilitates programs and processes that meet the needs of pets and pet parents.
- Maintains the center philosophy for attracting new clients and retaining existing clients.
- Facilitates resolution of client problems that doctors or other staff members cannot finalize.
- Resolves financial problems with clients, collecting delinquent accounts, determines when special financial agreements are appropriate
- Connects with the community through local marketing efforts including community outreach and onsite community activities.
- Assists with client services within the center.
- Plans and organizes all personnel activities to ensure optimal staffing to assure maximum productivity and
- Assists with the recruitment of team members and directly interviews and hires support staff personnel.
- Schedules and coordinates regular performance reviews.
- Manages support staff and/or staff supervisors and acts as the direct authority regarding disciplinary procedures, discharging, and all the legal responsibilities of employment in consultation with Human Resources.
- In conjunction with Partner DVM schedules team members and doctors for all center service areas.
- In consultation with Human Resources and Partner Doctor sets and periodically reviews salaries and benefits.
- Ensures appropriate onboarding takes place for new team members and supports continued professional development of support team members.
- Resolves team issues and is accessible to team while maintaining a professional relationship with the team.
- Ensures compliance with Heart + Paw employment policies and employee handbook and local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Mediates all team member problems, maintains team motivation, and structures continuing education for team members.
Finance and Accounting
- Works with the Heart and Paw leadership and the Partner Doctor in reviewing budgets and financial statements looking for areas of opportunity and consistency.
- Reviews financial statements and key performance indicators and reviews them with the Partner Doctor and other team members as appropriate.
- Educates team members on the business and client levers they can individually and collectively impact.
- Works with the Partner Doctor to set goals for the pet center performance based on previous performance and Heart + Paw objectives and designs strategies for meeting these goals.
- Monitors and reports on accounts payable and receivable.
- Supervises usage of practice software to ensure that client records are entered
consistently and correctly.
- Establishes an inventory control system to assure adequate stocks of supplies are available; plans for periodic audits and oversees quarterly inventory.
- Develops a schedule for hospital maintenance; supervises all maintenance activities to ensure that practice medical standards are met.
- Orders and supervises storage of non-medical supplies.
- Oversees the proper use and maintenance of all center equipment and ensures the overall cleanliness and appearance of the center is consistent with Heart + Paw elevated brand and experience.
- Administers safety and security regulations and training.
- Initiates new programs and markets services through community outreach campaigns.
- Promotes internal marketing programs to increase client/patient visitation rate.
- Maintains effective advertising in appropriate online platforms in conjunction with the VP of Marketing and the Chief Operating Officer.
- Ensures marketing is consistent with Heart + Paw brand.
Culture and Team Engagement
- Communicates objectives, motivates team members, builds and maintains morale; maintains core values and standards and promotes continuous quality improvement.
- Leads center team meetings with the Partner Doctor.
- Promotes cooperative working environment among team members; understands the value of teamwork; shows enthusiasm and willingness to perform as necessary to help the center function as a unit.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other team members.
- Serve as resource for other pet center team members as applicable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred or equivalent experience.
- Certified Veterinary Practice Manager designation is desirable but not required.
- Passion for pets.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Consumer-centric mindset.
- Strong interest in the use of technology to enhance client and team experience.
- Highly collaborative.
- Adaptable to changing needs and priorities.
- Skilled in business acumen with the ability to drive financial results and proven ability to build a business and cross-sell products and services.
- Proven success in business management (management of labor costs, P &L, and scheduling).
- Proven track record of managing and developing teams and individuals and ability to bring people together.
- Successful management of an elevated, high touch client service business (spa, technology, hotel, cell phone, medical/veterinary office).
Meet Heart + Paw Philadelphia
Heart + Paw is an integrated pet care company serving pets and their parents. By bringing together a tailored physical space and digital experience designed for the dynamics between pets, their parents, and the care team, our centers serves the modern dimensions of pet parenthood. At our Philadelphia location in Northern Liberties, Heart + Paw will offer veterinary care, grooming, day care, retail, and other complementary services at its centers. Thoughtfully designed, digitally enabled and powered by the best and the brightest, Heart + Paw will be the destination for pets, their parents, and our team.
We know that our spaces impact our lives. Our space will reflect our core values and include thoughtful details like natural light, a greeting bar, and transparent visibility to our services to make pets and their parents feel welcome from the first step. With pets at the center, our design elements and pet care techniques embody the leading edge of research in low stress handling including unique exam rooms and an experience tailored for feline visitors. Our elevated experience extends beyond pets and pet parents to our entire team. Each center will be newly built with modern equipment and there will be spaces designed just for our teams including a well-equipped breakroom, ample office space, and private employee-only bathroom.
Heart + Paw was founded with the belief that pet care providers have the noblest hearts yet often struggle with the demands of delivering high quality care to others while maintaining their own personal well-being. Our entire team is committed to creating a new employee experience, one that allows the dedicated veterinary care provider to do both.
With our extensive veterinary and operational background, we have put a great deal of thought and resources into every aspect of the employee experience: physical space, compensation, benefits, technology, equipment, caseload, and staffing. We believe the employee experience is an essential part of petcare reimagined.
- Compensation + benefits – Highly competitive package including an excellent base salary + production, merit, bonuses, profit sharing, short and long-term disability insurance, health benefits, continuing education, and retirement savings.
- Priority on well-being - Closed to veterinary appointments on Sundays, flexible scheduling, and a caseload that allows our team to spend more time with pets and their parents to offer an elevated experience.
- Technologically forward – Leading edge technology in our highly interactive client-facing mobile app, information management system, and other technologies that enhance your ability to deliver high-quality medicine and a best in class client experience.
- Leading edge equipment –Digital dental radiography, Doppler, portable ultrasound, and lift tables.
- Opportunity to lead – Empower you to do what you do best, be a leader where you are and function at the top of your training and expand your capabilities in interest areas that will give our clients more choices.
- Freedom in a framework –Freedom to individualize how you achieve success. From developing areas of special interest in general practice to customizing schedules, formulary selections, and choice of referral and emergency service partners, we provide the team the ability to influence these choices for their centers.
This is petcare reimagined.
Heart + Paw is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.